Capital City Organization Development Network

Saturday, December 16, 2006

"Get Green," CCODN!

Green innovation was in full bloom at Friday's "Get Green Columbus" business conference! It was a wonderful surprise to bump into CCODN board members Phyllis Brusky and Kathryn Tarantino at this first-ever conference on sustainable business in Central Ohio.

I was delighted to learn about the many public-sector and private-sector projects that are in flight or planned for the next year. Of particular interest to me was the planned eco-industrial park presented by Mike Long of SWACO. An eco-industrial park is built on the eco-effectiveness principle that "waste equals food." In this concept, waste from one industrial process is "food" (raw material or input) for another industrial process. In an eco-industrial park, independent companies are co-located to support the "waste equals food" cycle.

I imagine that these independent companies must become highly interdependent to facilitate the process. To support this interdependence, I envision that OD professionals will need to be experts in how partnerships, communities, and large networks best develop, operate and grow.

Do you think that the work of OD professionals will need to change to support this interdependence? If so, how? And what are you doing to prepare for it?

- Tina Kreminski

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Nice to see the OD community pointing to networks! When I started doing network analysis in organizations -- late 1980s -- I spoke on the topic at a couple of OD meetings and conferences. I figured the OD folks would get this stuff before anybody. Nope. They all looked at me like I was from outer space.

    Many years later, I'm glad to be part of the human race! ;-)

    By Blogger Valdis Krebs, at 12/16/2006 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home